I’m sure I wasn’t alone in watching the Oscars last night. Although I did watch them alone. Scott decided turning in early was preferable to watching the red carpet coverage. To be fair, I was flipping back and forth between The Little Mermaid and the red carpet. Neither are especially man-friendly. He stayed long enough for me to feed him before leaving me to complete control of the couch and the remote.
I think he made the right call, as the show definitely skewed toward my end of the gender-spectrum. I had to head to bed around 11:15 so I may have missed something at the end. But here are my favorite moments of the night.
1. Julia Roberts raising her hand for a slice of pizza. Love that girl.
2. Bette Midler. I don’t care who you are, that woman’s voice hasn’t changed a bit and her theatricality is fantastic.
3. What is it about Whoopi Goldberg? She can make announcing the next performer sound like a beautiful, moving poem.
4. Liza Minnelli is just so gloriously crazy. When the winner for best supporting actress was announced (Lupita Nyong’o), Liza jumped up to hug her. Who did you hug after you won your first Academy Award? Oh you know, all of the important people that contributed to my success, like my brother, my director, Spike Lee, my co-star Chiwetel Ejiofor. And Liza Minnelli. Because Liza does what she wants.
5. When did Pink become a serious artist? She was all over the grammy’s and now the Oscars. I never realized.
6. The picture that crashed twitter. How much would a paparazzo kill for a photo with Angie, Brad, Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence and Kevin Spacey?
7. Ellen in a Glenda the Good Witch dress. Enough said.